I have found that these eight actions drive successful change:
- Ask good questions (ask don’t tell).
- Know the business enough to ask good questions.
- Focus on the vision. Talk more about how things will be different.
- Know the people. Spend time with them. They are the ones who will make it stick.
- Put your best people on the change project.
- Be open and honest about the change, even the least desirable impacts.
- Critically think about risks and issues related to the change.
- Perform both quantitative (surveys, focus groups) as well as qualitative (“man-on-the-street”) analysis.